PREPARING FOR YOUR FIRST EEG TEST
Quantitative EEG (QEEG) is a non-invasive and safe test. (All surface gels are non-toxic) During the test the technician will observe and record your brain waves. Later, the results will be used to create a multi-color brain map that will be useful to trained health care professionals. The activity of your brain waves is a reflection of brain metabolism. This document will help you understand how to best prepare for the test.
CAP PLACEMENT AND SITTING STILL
The clinician will clean your forehead and ear lobes with alcohol to remove skin oils. Ear clips will be placed on your ear lobes. A special cap made of stretchy material will be placed on your head. There are 20 small holes in the cap that will be filled will a cool feeling gel. A Q-tip is placed in each hole and slight pressure is applied to insure contact with the scalp. The cap is connected to the EEG equipment and your brain waves will be visible to the technician.
The assessment has two parts: Eyes open for 4-8 minutes and eyes closed for 4-8 minutes. Patients sit in an inclined chair with a comfortable neck support. It is essential to limit movement in the chair. Limit eye movement, tongue movement and any form of muscle tension as much as possible. Breathe easy and relax but do not meditate. Do not think about problems, let go of all negative or busy thoughts. Relax as if you were on the beach or getting a massage.
PREPARATIONS BEFORE YOU ARRIVE “EARLY” THE DAY OF THE TEST
- SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR THE MORNING OF THE TEST -BE SURE YOUR HAIR IS DRY
- NO CONDITONER and NO HAIR SPRAY
- DO NOT WORK-OUT OR JOG JUST BEFORE THE TEST
- BRING A SMALL CAP (BASEBALL CAP) TO WEAR HOME
- REMOVE CONTACT LENSES (BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINERS)
- BE PREPARED TO REMOVE EAR-RINGS
- WEAR LOOSE FITTING COMFORTABLE CLOTHES
- TURN OFF CELL PHONES AND/OR PAGER EQUIPMENT
- DO NOT STAY UP LATE THE NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST
- DO NOT DRINK ALCHOLIC BEVERAGES FOR 2 DAYS BEFORE THE TEST
- MAXIMUM ONE CUP OF COFFEE/TEA OR Caffeine BEVERAGE (MORNING OF TEST)
WHEN TO CANCEL
1. SICKNESS, FEVER, COUGHING SPELLS, NASAL ISSUES, EYE INFECTIONS, EAR INFECTIONS, etc.
- TAKING newly PRESCRIBED MEDICATIONS OR OTC remedies FOR CURRENT ILLNESS
- DISRUPTION OF YOUR USUAL SLEEP PATTERN (LOSS OF SLEEP)
4. FAMILY OR PERSONAL CRISIS
Copyright©2013 DSP Associate, Inc. All rights reserved.